Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tethered and Lenscratch

I feel like I'm engaging in too many acts of shameless self-promotion lately, but I want to share my excitement with you. Yesterday, I was featured on Lenscratch, considered one of the 10 Photography-related blogs you should be reading by Source ReviewWired.com, and InStyle Magazine. Simultaneously, the talented Elizabeth Fleming mentioned my work on her blog. (You can check that post out here.) In Elizabeth's post she also noted that my blog had pulled her out of a temporary funk which brought on a short cessation from creating.


On December 30, I was redirected from Elizabeth's blog to an article she posted on A Photo Editor, where I had the pleasure of reading an opinion piece that was well reasoned and insightful, albeit a little controversial (considering the subject matter). What followed was a heated discussion that at times took direct aim at Elizabeth's own work. With grace, she took a few days to respond to some of her critics and then when she was ready, responded. I must admit, I stood on the sidelines and watched it unfold, cringing at times by some of the combative posts. But, I also took personally the comments directed at her work, since Elizabeth's subject matter is so similar to my own. 


The night before Elizabeth Fleming mentioned me on her blog, I sat in front of my computer trying to decide which image I should post from that day. The comments made on A Photo Editor, were fresh in my memory, especially those referring to the sensitive subject of exploiting one's children. I had narrowed my images down to two and after going back and forth in my head, I ended up posting the less controversial image that night. 


In the morning I woke up and as soon as I could, posted the stronger image. This image holds within it, the ability for me to communicate a small piece of my larger journey; that journey holds the subject matter that informs my work. Being a parent gives insight into the innocence of one's own past while shedding light onto the struggles of our own parents journey, taken not so long ago. It also allows us to see the physiological and psychological discoveries our children make. These moments are much more innocent than the mature adult mind projects onto them. My thoughts had been with Elizabeth and how she was handling the barrage of negative attention, because I knew it would have me feeling a little low. So yesterday morning I posted the image of my son standing on my bed, as a show of support for Elizabeth and her own, powerful work. 


It is difficult enough as a parent to navigate through this world, trying to find time to create art, network, post on our blogs, try to find the time to send our work to shows, working a full or part-time job and trying to be an amazing parent, without someone bringing you down and taking you away from what is really important. I'm not complaining either, I wouldn't trade places with anybody (well maybe with BeyoncĂ© for one night so I could shake it up on stage next to Jay Z) but this is my reality. 


So thank you to Elizabeth Fleming for thinking of me (looks like we were both thinking of each other yesterday morning) and to Aline Smithson for ALL of the work she does daily to support the larger photo community. 





4 comments:

  1. Just discovered you through Elizabeth Flemming's blog and almost simultaniously, lenscratch. It's very nice to be building a community of mom/artist/photographers. I appreciate the thoughts you shared and the images you recently posted. I struggle with the same issues--especially when sharing my portfolio concerning my son. The other project I am currently working on involves nudes of people over the age of 100. I sometimes fear people will interpret these in a way I've not intended. The experience shared between myself and my models has been so intimate, tender and mutually beneficial on so many levels. It is scary to think that in sharing the project with the greater community my motives will be misunderstood.

    Sorry I'm going on! I am really happy to have found your site. Good luck in all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, Anastasia. Your new work sounds very powerful. I'm so happy you found my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen,
    I am also found you through Elizabeth Fleming's blog and Lenscratch. I have really have enjoyed getting to know your work. I too sat on the edge of my seat reading every comment following Elizabeth's piece for A Photo Editor. Not easy stuff and yes, she handled it with tremendous grace. Sharing images online of family is a courageous act. I look forward to seeing your upcoming posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andi,
    Thank you for finding me. I just found you through Elizabeth last week. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog